Emacs & Lisp question

From: Ben Badgley
Subject: Emacs & Lisp question
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:05:10 -0400

Been using Google all day to no avail. I think it is pretty straight forward question.

Can you use compressed Lisp code? Will it evaluate, compile and evaluate?

The reason I ask is due to looking at the Emacs directory. The Lisp code directory sure does eat up a lot of space. So, it came to mind, "why not compress each of those buggers and let the interpreter use them from the archives?"

Will Emacs allow this? Further is it even doable beyond Emacs?

This may not be exactly the best place for me to ask, understood. I am trying to keep it related to Emacs on a general usage level. If we can use compressed libraries, wouldn't it be worth knowing? ;-)

---
Ben