Re: gnus: how to improve searching for articles

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: gnus: how to improve searching for articles
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:33:02 +0300

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:15:33 -0700 (PDT), Francis Moreau
<francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
>>
>> One way is to use '& RET regexp RET #' in the summary buffer.  If you
>> don't type a header in the prompt of '&' it searches the entire article,
>> including both headers and body.  The '#' command marks the matching
>> articles with the '#' mark, and then you can:
>>
>>   1) Limit the summary buffer to the matching articles by typing `/ n', or
>>
>>   2) Run a command that understand `process-mark', i.e. commands to copy
>>      the articles to other groups, mass-followup commands, and so on.
>
> Actually I just realize that search including the body is really
> expensive since gnus needs to download all article's bodies in order to
> perform the search.

Yes, that's an unfortunate thing indeed.  I am not sure if nnmairix can
be tuned a bit to use the agent.  I download most of the groups I read
in a local Gnus agent cache, and then read them from the cache.  So I
will try to see if nnmairix can 'peek into the cache' instead of
fetching the articles over the wire.