Re: vc in emacs problem with git

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: vc in emacs problem with git
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 14:24:07 +0530

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Junio C Hamano<gitster@pobox.com> wrote:
> Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Just updating my own question:
>> when I do a C-x v v (vc-next-action)
>> which is supposed to be the most basic operation for checking in a file I get
>>
>>  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>>
>> So vc can be assumed to be a broken I guess?
>
> Have you checked contrib/emacs/README?
> --

Sorry Junio I should have checked.

Actually I had earlier checked.
Then I tried many emacs-git options, none of which worked.
Then I upgraded my emacs to 23 in which the vc is upgraded for dvses like git.
Time passed and I forgot what I had found, made worse by the fact that
sometimes I'm on windows and sometimes on linux and the 'working'
status of different things is quite different.

However the point is that I was not loading the older vc-git.el at
all. emacs was getting the wrong one.
It may be better if vc were hardened so that it gets its own vc-*.els
in preference to random stuff lying on the load-path.