Re: How to expertly fold perl or other scripting code.

From: Wang Lei
Subject: Re: How to expertly fold perl or other scripting code.
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:22:34 +0800

On 9/20/09, Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>>
>>> I see too much output on google that looks very complex when I try to
>>> delve into folding code in emacs.
>>>
>>> Is it horribly complicated?
>>>
>>> I know some windows editors or ide's do such folding very
>>> quickly... but I'm not going to do my coding on windows.  I'm far to
>>> comfortable on linux or opensolaris, but I would really like to have
>>> the ability to fold/unfold code as needed, quickly and easily.
>>
>> M-x outline-minor-mode RET
>> C-c @ C-t
>>
>> For a start...
>>

> I personally find outline of limited use when it comes to folding
> code. However, there are a few folding modes out there (check the emacs
> wiki). I use an old mode called folding.el (which is bundled in the
> emacs-goodies debian package. It works quite well, is easy to install
> and provides good functionality.
>>
>>Tim
>

> --
> tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

After reading these from folding.el, I decided to use hs-minor-mode.

;;
;;      Please note, that the maintainers do not recommend to use only
;;      folding for you your code layout and navigation. Folding.el is
;;      on its best when it can "chunk" large sections of code inside
;;      folds. The larger the chunks, the more the usability of
;;      folding will increase. Folding.el is not meant to hide
;;      individual functions: you may be better served by hideshow.el
;;      or imenu.el (which can parse the function indexes)

--
Regards,
Lei