Re: Narrow/widen in folding.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Narrow/widen in folding.el
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:42:34 +0100

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

>> I use folding.el a lot, and find it useful, but its interaction with
>> isearch is decidedly suboptimal: if you start with a folded buffer,
>> search for something, and land in a fold, the buffer will be narrowed
>> to this fold, and to get out you have to hit C-x n w.  This becomes a
>> pain when I have to do lots of small quick searches/edits in a folded
>> document.  Is there a way to fix this behavior?..
>
> I suggest to try org-mode, you can do the same things that you're doing
> now but is much more powerful.

But org-mode doesn't work for source code files, e.g. it's not the right
thing for using folding in C++ files.

> If I use isearch it expands when it finds something and doesn't narrow
> it back if I press for example C-a, C-e

org builds upon outline mode, and outline provides a nice
outline-minor-mode that can be used to use outlining in any files.  It
also temporally unhides hidden parts when isearching.

I have a small config snippet that calculates the right
`outline-regexp'.  Basically, it's the current buffer's comment syntax
followed by at least one *.  The more *s, the higher the level.

(require 'outline)

(defvar th-outline-minor-mode-font-lock-keywords
  '((eval . (list (concat "^\\(?:" outline-regexp "\\).*")
                  0 '(outline-font-lock-face) t t)))
  "Additional expressions to highlight in Orgstruct Mode and Outline minor mode.
The difference to `outline-font-lock-keywords' is that this will
overwrite other highlighting.")

(defun th-outline-regexp ()
  "Calculate the outline regexp for the current mode."
  (let ((comment-starter (replace-regexp-in-string
                          "[[:space:]]+" "" comment-start)))
    (when (string= comment-starter ";")
      (setq comment-starter ";;"))
    (concat comment-starter "[*]+ ")))

(defun th-outline-minor-mode-init ()
  (interactive)
  (unless (eq major-mode 'latex-mode)
    (setq outline-regexp (th-outline-regexp))
    (font-lock-add-keywords
     nil
     th-outline-minor-mode-font-lock-keywords)))

(add-hook 'outline-minor-mode-hook
          'th-outline-minor-mode-init)

So in Lisp, I can do:

;;* Headline 1
;;** Headline 1.1
;;** Headline 1.2

and in C I can do

//* Headline 1
//** Headline 1.1
//** Headline 1.2

I also bind TAB to a function that calls `org-cycle' if I'm on an
outline heading, and in all other cases does what TAB would do normally.

Bye,
Tassilo