Re: sgml-validate

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: sgml-validate
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 02:03:30 +0600

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 20:44, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> <!DOCTYPE html
>>      PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>>      "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"; [
>> <!ENTITY ge "&#x2265;">
>> ]>

> What I can say is that firefox doesn't complain and does show the
> characters correctly, but it also recognized the native &ge;, etc
> so perhaps it is just ignoring the <!ENTITY ge "&#x2265;">.

This may happen if the browser is led to believe that your document is
an HTML one. It will therefore parse it using HTML rules, which
include the whole lot of HTML entities. Many servers serve XHTML
documents as text/html because of one widely used browser that did not
support application/xhtml+xml until its most recent version 9.