How to make emacs path aware on MacOSX

From: Young, Ed
Subject: How to make emacs path aware on MacOSX
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 12:14:11 +0000

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this. If so please redirect me.

I am running emacs on MacOSX, installed from a DMG file.

It works great, but it is not aware of my path, so I can't execute commands like 'git' or 'svn' etc.

How can I configure it to be aware of my path. I'm using the global path variable file /etc/profile.