Re: How to make emacs path aware on MacOSX

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: How to make emacs path aware on MacOSX
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:18:04 +0200

Am 14.04.2011 um 14:19 schrieb Young, Ed:

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me. If I define a variable in
the environment.plist file,

I did not understand completely what you wrote and assumed that you were still referring to the usual files a shell interpreter is reading when it is started.

and then log out and back in (that's a pain) the variables are available.

Mac OS X allows to set up some so-called "Startup Items"...

The problem is when I try to embed a variable in the value of another
variable:

SW_HOME /opt/comcast/software
GROOVY_HOME $SW_HOME/groovy/current

In the case above, SW_HOME doesn't resolve correctly in the GROOVY_HOME
variable.

That's indeed not possible inside ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. It's just a simple text, or, better: XML file. Inside it no substitution happens. With GNU Emacs or some other editor it's really not that complicated to substitute variable names with the contents they stand for.

OTOH, a shell should be able resolve a setting like "$SW_HOME/groovy/ current" when "$SW_HOME" is given. Proof:

        ls -l $SW_HOME/groovy/current

--
Greetings

  Pete                           <]
             o        __o         |__    o       HPV, the real
    ___o    /I       -\<,         |o \  -\),-%     high speed!