Re: seems to be a general bug with line hiding if lines not starting in

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: seems to be a general bug with line hiding if lines not starting in column 0
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:31:02 +0100

unfrostedpoptart <david@therogoffs.com> writes:

> This is way beyond me to figure out.  I've been working with
> outline-minor-mode and orgstruct (org-mode's minor mode).  Any time a
> headline line has whitespace at the beginning, when it's
> folded/hidden, the display is wrong.  The following headline is on the
> same line.

Looking at the sources, outline seems not to allow headlines with
whitespace at the beginning per default.

I think you could get it work, but you would have to modify some
variables like `outline-regexp' and `outline-heading-alist'.  Maybe it's
not worth the trouble if you are don't want to deal with internals.

> I just notice that the same thing happens in dired. If I include
> listings of several sub-directories and then hide the first one ($ /
> M-x dired-hide-subdir) the next subdir is listed on the same line
> instead of on the next line, which really messes things up.

I think that is a different issue.

I don't see this behavior here, neither with Emacs 23.3, nor with 24.
Does this happen with emacs -Q?  Which operating system do you use?

Michael.