run setup script before M-x compile

From: Brendan Miller
Subject: run setup script before M-x compile
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:18:10 -0000

For a project I'm working on, I have to run a somewhat slow environmental setup script before running the makefile.

I'd like to take advantage of compilation mode. Is there some way to get M-x compile, or the like, to reuse an inferior shell that I've already executed my setup script in?

To be clear, the setup script changes the shell's environment, so it won't work to run the script in a separate shell.

Thanks