Re: a key system to replace gnu emacs's 1000 default keybindings

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: a key system to replace gnu emacs's 1000 default keybindings
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 14:50:04 +0100

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
> this coming from a guy who insists that IBM Model M keyboard is more
> ergonomic than Microsoft Natural keyboard, Kinesis?

There's an interesting article by Aaron Iba (main author of Etherpad)
http://aaroniba.net/articles/tmp/how-i-cured-my-rsi-pain.html
who uses a "Mind Body" approach to curing RSI.  He says:

"I can type as much as I want, in whatever unergonomic position I
want, on any keyboard, without any pain."

He also says that his approach "sounds ridiculous to most people."

Now, I personally a customized kinesis board
http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/ratpoison.pl/jcorneli-kbd
and a clever rearrangement scheme on laptops (number row replaced with
modifiers).

I'm very happy with this, but I think Aaron Iba's essay (and the book
he cites) are interesting anyway, and probably relevant to various
kinds of pain/distraction.