Re: non-ASCII characters in auto-save files

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: non-ASCII characters in auto-save files
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:56:33 +0200

Am 25.06.2012 um 14:46 schrieb grivet:

> I have two questions:
>    - Can Emacs be persuaded to to encode auto-save files in a more useful
> manner ?
>    - Is there a systematic way to convert #myfile# to iso-latin-9 (or
> iso-latin-1) code, other than painstakingly
> searching and replacing offending chars ?

I have one answer: use file-local variables!

For example in the header:

        %%% -*- mode: LaTeX; coding: iso-latin-9-unix; -*-

Or in the (AUCTeX) footer:

        %%% Local Variables:
        %%% mode: LaTeX
        %%% fill-column: 99999
        %%% coding: iso-latin-9
        %%% End:
        %

In the header you can combine the coding line with a time-stamp line, updated
every time you save the file:

        %%%     Time-stamp: <2012-01-15 16:41:38 pete>

With C-x RET c <encoding name> RET you can set an encoding to be used when you
read and open the auto-save file. You can use the same command to set an
encoding for saving the file.

--
Greetings

  Pete