Re: Remote access from Windoze

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Remote access from Windoze
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 11:21:19 +0100

Hello Hilary,

Hilary wrote:
> When I try
>
> find-file /me@a.b.c.d:/
>
> from emacs on a WinXP box (with PuTTY properly installed), it prompts
>
> Password for /pscp:me@a.b.c.d:
>
> after entering the password and a long pause, I get
>
> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
>
> and nothing more. It's freed by C-g, when it asks for a password again.
>
> When I try the exact same find-file command from emacs on Debian in VirtualBox
> on the same Winny box, it works perfectly. Winny emacs never gets to the
>
> Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `a.b.c.d'
>
> message which Debian emacs has. Have I missed something about emacs and/or
> plink?

I remember having _similar_ troubles when having "complex" prompt patterns on
the SSH'ed box. By complex, I mean: with colors or multilines, for example.
With no special configuration, Tramp can't recognize such prompts. So, the
idea is to try with the minimalistic prompt on the accessed box (such as "$").

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban