Re: x-selection-value slow with primary selection

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: x-selection-value slow with primary selection
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 11:06:36 +0200

Am 08.10.2013 um 18:30 schrieb Allan Streib:

> I use emacs 24.3 on OpenBSD-current. Yanking text from the Primary X
> selection is very slow, often taking ~10 seconds.  Nothing unusual about
> the selection, may be a few words or a couple of lines.

Maybe there are two effects involved. Could be text properties are getting
copied too. The second effect can be due to text encoding issues.

You could try to synchronise the text encoding issue. If GNU Emacs would use
the same default encoding as the X server uses, then some time could be saved.

The other issue can be solved by telling the X server not to handle text
properties – and/or setting this in GNU Emacs.

Sometimes I think that the delays I encounter are due to not enough memory,
which would lead to swapping out some parts of the programmes involved.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Don't just do something, sit there.