Re: Prob wit init.el / .emacs on two different installation (win - linux

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Prob wit init.el / .emacs on two different installation (win - linux)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:15:46 -0800 (PST)

Renato wrote
> I wouild use the variable you sudgested me to obtain that:
> - if I'm on linux machine, the .org path this:
> /home/renato/Dropbox/Documenti/org/

I think this is not the best variable for this (others should correct me)
Better to use user-init-file or user-emacs-directory

Also beware of backslashes (\) in emacs strings.
Forward (/) will work even on windows and are safer.
[Ive been bitten couple of times by this]

> -instead if I' using win, is something like this
> C:\Documents and Settings\renatop\Documenti\Dropbox\Documentiorg\
>
> so, I think, I need to test the variable window-system to undestand if I'm
> running emacs from win or from linux, and then use the correct path to set
> the the correct value for "setq default-directory"

This is the best I could find but it will not work for example if
you do emacs -nw in linux
There must be some variable for "Am I on windows? Linux? Mac?" but I dont
know which