Re: Multiple "outgoing" email accounts.

From: N. Jackson
Subject: Re: Multiple "outgoing" email accounts.
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 15:46:39 -0400

Answering some of my own questions about the "X-Message-SMTP-Method"
header following some experimentation:

>> 1. Does the header get removed before the mail is sent?

Yes, it does. It would have been surprising if it didn't of course, but
I didn't see anything in the documentation that mentions this.

>> 2. Can one omit the port number and leave that to be retrieved from
>> the .authinfo file?

No. Sending the mail seems to fail if the port number is omitted.

I don't really understand what's going on here. At some point something
must be consulting my .authinfo file to retreive the password for my
smtp sever. It's not clear to me why it doesn't get the port number from
there as well.

And what about the settings of variables like smtpmail-smtp-service,
smtpmail-starttls-credentials, smtpmail-auth-credentials etc.? Do they
get factored in to the mix, or are they ignored when the
"X-Message-SMTP-Method" header is used?

>> It would seem like an excessive amount of work, and error prone, to
>> type in something like

>> every time I want to send an email.

> I think the idea is to use posting styles to tell gnus to set up the
> appropriate STMP method header, depending on your From address.

I'm not quite organised to use posting styles yet. In the interim I have
set up an abbrev to expand to a "From" header and
"X-Message-SMTP-Method" header for each of my smtp accounts which seems
to work well enough for the time being.