Re: Odd slowness in grep and dired modes

From: Smith_RS
Subject: Re: Odd slowness in grep and dired modes
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 01:25:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, March 21, 2014 1:13:06 AM UTC-7, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> What exactly "slows to a crawl" in these situations?

I trace Emacs using Process Explorer, on a machine with 4 available cores I see
25% utilization which (to my understanding) means it's at 100% on that core. It
takes as long as 30 seconds to a minute to catch up.

If I do a non-trivial grep, my attempts to select files out of the grep results
creates enough lag to make the selection process not usable.

Even when I do all the things to turn off tooltips it doesn't stop the
behavior. I've tried these:

(setq tooltip-mode nil)
(setq show-help-function nil)

If there were a way to intercept the call to mouse-fixup-help-message so that
it just does a "no-op" that would solve this for me.