Re: Learning "my emacs" from the start (was: Generating a listing of all

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Learning "my emacs" from the start (was: Generating a listing of all symbols)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 21:36:29 +0100

Hans BKK <hansbkk@gmail.com> writes:

> I also didn't mean to put so much focus on the keybindings issue, just
> that's why I'm holding off on the hands-on usage for the moment until
> I've got a good set in mind, checking out the various key popular
> packages bundled in these "out of the box" starter kits is also part of
> the project.

I don't use the starter kits, but in general they don't change the
default keybindings much.  Often they do things like displaying a
different buffer menu if C-x C-b is pressed.  But that doesn't really
change the meaning of the C-x C-b is still means "bring up the buffer
menu".

As far as I can tell from it's documentation Emacs-starter-kit changes
nothing.

Prelude makes the following changes:
* C-M-h is changed from mark-defun to backward kill word.
* C-- is changed from negative argument to shrink font.
* C-x m is changed from write email to eshell.
* M-o is changed from set face to insert line with indentation.

Graphene makes only one significant change C-x k always kills the
current buffer.  Default Emacs asks for a buffer to kill and default to
the current one.

You're not likely to notice any of those differences for a long time.
Using C-x m for eshell instead of email would confuse me, that's the
only big change though.

Regular Emacs and all the starter kits come with cua-mode and evil so
you can use CUA or VI keybindings if you want.

BR,
Robert Thorpe