Re: Helm (and?) or Icicles (possibly using Evil)

From: Hans BKK
Subject: Re: Helm (and?) or Icicles (possibly using Evil)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:51:23 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for that Drew. However I'm not sure what may have given the impression I
intended to do that 'shaking up the big sack thing'.

It's true I don't intend to use most of the OOB keybindings, but definitely
plan to select/create a set that won't interfere with my initial learning curve
nor get in the way of making the most of the vanilla features.

If anything I'm 'too much' of a stickler for the "understand each tool set
thoroughly" approach, but that IS how I 'have fun'.

To me, being able to follow the trail back to the docs and source is key, and
the narrowing/completion aides (to be?) discussed here a part of that.

It seems clear that ido/flex, helm and icicles offer a lot more than the
vanilla tab-completion, so in that case I don't see any practical benefit nor
foregone pleasures in sticking with the latter past some initial testing and
exploring.

If you happen to have time and/or feel like it at any point, I'd greatly
appreciate your addressing my question - I hope you won't feel 'shy' about
highlighting Icicles' features - particularly in the context of my use-case -
where they overlap vis-a-vis the alternatives since I am genuinely soliciting
that information no one can accuse you of over-self-promotion in the maillist.

But again, comparative feedback from happy Helm users would be most welcome,
since there isn't nearly as much information on that topic available online,
particularly in 'the' wiki.