RE: cd to the user's home dir

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: cd to the user's home dir
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 18:27:06 -0700 (PDT)

> But playing with it I find that it doesn't work exactly the same as
> find-file completion.  If I have "~/" and I try "~/~rooTAB" it will
> not complete to ~root/.  I must backup first.  "~rooTAB" works.  This
> is slightly different than find-file.  In find-file a slash or tilde
> immediately starts a new path.  In the graphical client it greys out
> the preceding path.  I think cd is enough different from find-file
> that it would classify as a bug against cd because of the
> inconsistency.

Emacs command `cd' tries to act like UNIX/Linux command `cd'.
In particular, it uses environment var `CDPATH' to look things up.

The `find-file' (and related commands) behavior you refer to
is something different. What it does is recognize `~/' as your
home directory (env var `HOME').  And it does so also when it
comes immediately after a slash (`/`) - Emacs then ignores that
slash and whatever precedes it.  (And in recent Emacs versions
it dims that ignored text.)