Re: Programming starting Lisp

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Programming starting Lisp
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 18:46:39 +0200

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I am collecting material on univs starting
> programming with functional programming:

> I am sure that more places are using Lisp... cant
> seem to find much.
>
> If anyone knows any, in particular non-scheme lisp
> usage in programming education, please let me know.

I have said a couple of times that I don't believe in
paradigms that much. If you tell your students that
paradigms are models to enhance our understanding, not
rules what to do, and certainly not descriptions of
technology (just think of C and Lisp, with which you
can do anything and everything, in whatever style) - if
you promise that, ..., no, you don't need to promise
that, I'll answer anyway:

Yes, I did Lisp, Erlang and Haskell in a course called
"Advanced functional programming" at Uppsala
University, Sweden. But in the CS program there were
many courses that included functional programming in
one way or another: SML was the first language I did at
the university, I did more Erlang on distributed
systems because of modularity/concurrency, etc. As for
Lisp in particular, I don't remember that from any
other course.

The Lisp we did was Common Lisp. I still have the
configuration I did to Emacs to do that:

(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/sbcl --noinform")

sbcl is "Steel Bank Common Lisp", probably some remnant
of the Lispic wars when there were so much sweet Lisp
around in different flavors.

One of the books we read (and the only one I remember)
was "Land of Lisp", which was very good. I still use
the style with parenthesis like they did in that book:

(setq load-path
      (cl-concatenate 'list load-path
                      '("~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/"
                        "~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/w3m/"
                        "~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/gnus/") ))

Here are the notes I took on that course with respect
to CL:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/common_lisp/intro.l

I haven't touched it in all those years (never look
back), but I passed the course, so it should be mostly
correct.

Good luck!

--
underground experts united