Re: visiting remote files on webserver

From: lee
Subject: Re: visiting remote files on webserver
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 21:32:08 +0200

>>> The url package does this, you could start with url-retrieve and
>>> url-retrieve-synchronously.
>>
>> Hm, yes, I thought it did, and there are a number of url-.* functions
>> available, like url-handler-mode.  There aren't any to retrieve an url,
>> though.
>>
>> Is the url package part of emacs, or do I need to install it?
>
> I'm using emacs 24.4 (dev version) and it's in lisp/url/url.el.

Hm, I have:

[~/inst/emacs/emacs-git/emacs/lisp/url] find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep
-i "defun url-retrieve"
./url.el:(defun url-retrieve (url callback &optional cbargs silent
inhibit-cookies)
./url.el:(defun url-retrieve-internal (url callback cbargs &optional silent
./url.el:(defun url-retrieve-synchronously (url &optional silent
inhibit-cookies)

Yet when I try M-x url-retrieve, there is no such funktion.

> Everything's autoloaded properly, so url-retrieve is available from
> startup. I know nothing about the history of this package -- what's your
> emacs version?

Please see below; I have gnus put version info into the signature for
the emacs.* groups.  I compiled from the git repo from which I updated
only a couple days ago (and it still seems to be a repo I'm not supposed
to use).

I tried (require 'url) in ~/.emacs, and that doesn't make a difference.
I'll have to look into it more closely on the weekend ...  I suppose it
should just be available.

The first mentioning of url-retrieve in git log is in commit
40c5a1bd1b125e9768aa223e80d0ae32e33a184b from Mon Apr 12 20:50:16 2004
+0000, authored by Stefan Monnier.  So it has over 10 years of history.

--
GNU Emacs 24.4.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2014-08-17 on yun.yagibdah.de