Re: Diagnosing a curious minibuffer problem (proliferating, weird initia

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Diagnosing a curious minibuffer problem (proliferating, weird initial contents)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 05:26:44 +0100

florian@fsavigny.de (Florian v. Savigny) writes:

> I have no idea how to get to the root of the problem. I cannot edebug
> completing-read, in any case. (That is what I would try otherwise,
> anyway.)

I would try trace-function-background on completing-read and check with
which args it is called when the problem appears.  Especially check the
INITIAL-INPUT arg.

In any case, using the normal debugger (not edebug) is useful,
e.g. debug-on-entry completing-read, check how it is called etc.

Check elements of minibuffer-setup-hook whether there could be the
culprit.

Finally, the mysterious initial inputs must be stored somewhere.  Try to
find out with `apropos-value'.

Michael.