Re: Tramp hangs/freezes when opening some remote files over ssh on Ubunt

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp hangs/freezes when opening some remote files over ssh on Ubuntu 14.04 client.
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 17:34:16 +0100

Chris Seberino <cseberino@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> When I try to open some files it freezes with messages like the following...
>
>    Tramp: Inserting
> `/ssh:cs@philfour.com:/home/cs/Ws/philfour/mvc/views/booklist.html'...done
>
> I can't see debug output when I add (setq tramp-verbose 500)
> to .emacs because when I try to open remote file with Tramp
> it freezes?!!?

Try C-g (even several times) whether Emacs unfreezes. If it doesn't
help, send the Emacs process the USR2 signal, or the FPE
signal. Sometimes this unfreezes Emacs, and you are able to investigate
the Tramp buffer.

> I found some discussion about issues with Ubuntu 14.04 here:

Well, experience tells that there are a lot of possibilities that Tramp
does not succeed to connect. Often, it is the prompt of the remote shell.

> Any help great appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Chris Seberino

Best regards, Michael.