Re: Running M-x gdb hangs emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Running M-x gdb hangs emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:00:20 +0200

> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 10:45:08 +0800
> From: Zhongwei Yao <ashi08104@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> gud-gdb works. And my Emacs version is 24.3.1.
>
> But how can I get the fancy gdb interface back in Emacs with gud-gdb? Thanks!

You can't have the fancy UI with gud-gdb.  My suggestion was an
attempt to see if the problem is caused by the use of the GDB/MI
interface.  It sounds like it is.

Does it help to use "M-x gdb" from "emacs -Q"?  If in "emacs -Q" you
see no problems, then look into your customizations or your site init
file for the reasons for the hang.

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest to upgrade to the latest GDB (7.8.2
was just released) and to the latest Emacs 24.4.  The reason is that I
don't see any problems with those latest versions in your usage
scenario.

If upgrading doesn't help, please submit a full bug report with all
the details using "M-x report-emacs-bug".