Re: Check for redundancy

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Check for redundancy
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 23:59:46 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 17:48:28 +0600
>> Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>>
>> Yes. -DSTRICT has been the default setting for new projects created in
>> MSVC++ since version 7 or so. Is there some problem enabling STRICT on
>> MinGW, or a reason why it is done rarely?

> (Personally, I see no good reasons for doing that, and I'm quite sure
> it will break some legitimate code.)

As Eli says this is help-gnu-emacs, so talking about the peculiarities
of MS Windows is off-topic.

I'll just say this much more about it....  I was giving the old Windows
interfaces as an example of where Hungarian Notation can be useful even
though the language has types.  If Microsoft have finally fixed it in
MSVC then that's great for people using MSVC.  It still shows that the
problem can happen.  It may not help old programs though, and the
classic Windows interface is mostly for old programs.  In the past
programmers often wouldn't cast handles correctly.  Sometimes variables
were declared with HANDLE.  It will help old programs that were written
carefully.

I agree with the criticisms Eli Zaretski, Rusi and Pascal Bourguignon
made of what I wrote.  I was trying to make things simple.  I could have
been more precise and kept things simple.

BR,
Robert Thorpe