Re: Window too big

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Window too big
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 03:36:20 +0200

Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> writes:

> When I start emacs from the menu in xcfe, it always is
> slightly taller than my screen. I have to mouse around
> and make it smaller before it is usable. Is there
> something I can put, say, in my ~/.emacs file to
> change how tall it is?

If you don't start Emacs from the menu in xcfe, but
open a terminal emulator window (e.g., xterm) and type
'emacs', you can append options that will allow you to
easily fine tune what should happen. I'm sure you can
modify the menu item to encompass such options, but at
least in the experimentation phase, and actually
every time else as well, it is faster, and more
powerful, to do it from a command interpreter. Anyway,
here are some of the options you wish to examine - do

    $ man emacs

for more!

      -fh, --fullheight
              Make the first frame as high as the screen.

      -fs, --fullscreen
              Make the first frame fullscreen.

      -fw, --fullwidth
              Make the first frame as wide as the screen.

      -mm, --maximized
              Maximize the first frame, like "-fw -fh".

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573