Re: Hang on startup on OS X (GUI only)

From: davidmortensen
Subject: Re: Hang on startup on OS X (GUI only)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 08:38:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 12:37:41 AM UTC-4, bitt...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 12:43:22 PM UTC-8, Elliott Slaughter wrote:
> > (If there is a better place to direct this (e.g. a bug tracker) please let
> > me know.)
> >
> > Emacs often hangs on startup on Mac OS X. The hangs are non-deterministic
> > but frequent (25-50% of runs), consume 100% of CPU, and only happen when
> > starting Emacs.app with the GUI enabled, never when running in text mode on
> > the command-line. I have reproduced the hangs with an empty .emacs file and
> > after having completely removed .emacs.d.
>
> I've the same problem. I use "GNU Emacs 24.4.51.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0,
> NS apple-appkit-1343.16) of 2015-01-02" under a MacBookPro5,4 and Yosemite
> 10.10.3 though. For me its reproducible on every startup (maybe because I
> load so many applications?) Is anyone working on a fix?

I'm long had the same problem with a variety of different Emacs builds (various
builds from from http://emacsformacosx.com as well as a couple of homebrew
builds). It was not always this way, but I can't put my finger on the exact
change that triggered this behavior. Currently running OS X 10.10.5 on an early
2013 13" MBP with 16 GB RAM. I would love to know the solution to this problem.