Re: I am confused: why Emacs keybindings in OS X?

From: Random832
Subject: Re: I am confused: why Emacs keybindings in OS X?
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 01:24:18 -0500

Alan <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:
> And, guess what?  The Emacs keybindings are not de rigeur on the
> GNU/Linux system!!!

I think it's that the GNU/Linux world, as an extension of the PC world,
moved to using ctrl as a general accelerator key. I remember on apps in
the 1990s and early 2000s using Motif, (e.g. the early versions of
Netscape) which used Meta as the general accelerator key, a subset of
the Emacs keybindings using control *were* supported within text edit
boxes.

In OSX, the general accelerator key is "command", so there is no
conflict with providing the Emacs bindings with control.