Re: Help debugging erratic cursor movement

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Help debugging erratic cursor movement
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 16:20:01 -0700

Bastian Beischer <bastian.beischer@rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Unfortunately I still don't have recipe to reproduce the issue. I
> learned about 'debug-on-entry', though. Unfortunately the piece of
> code that is causing the problem does not call goto-char (inferred by
> using '(debug-on-entry 'goto-char)' and waiting for bug to happen ->
> no debug backtrace) :-(

If the problem function is compiled, it may use `goto-char' but still
not trigger `debug-on-entry', because the compiled code would use the
goto-char bytecode instruction rather than the actual function.

You can get around this by using C-M-x on the defun of any functions you
consider candidates. That will cause Emacs to interpret those functions
rather than running their bytecode. (You could even do that for whole
source files by using `eval-buffer').

        John