Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 19:22:09 +0600

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working in a Debian S/390x Chroot (https://www.debian.org/ports/).
> Its a lightweight VM-like command line environment.
>
> I'm trying to build emacs from sources because the port does not have
> a suitable package available. The features I need are (a) Open file
> (b) Save file (c) Search in buffer and (d) Replace in buffer.
> Everything else is superfluous. Below is my Configure line.

If those are your only requirements, you might make do with just cat,
grep and sed.

Also, if your goal is not specifically to have the chroot as your
primary working environment, you might be able to set up some kind of
access to the file system of your chroot for your primary environment,
and work with that, possibly via Tramp.