Re: Compilation in C and ADA

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Compilation in C and ADA
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 14:48:11 +0200

Francis Belliveau wrote:

> 3. As far as which compiler to use, you might
> as well assume "gcc" since "make" is not
> always there either. There are many flavors
> of make that "make -k" would not be
> compatible with.

3. You can change this by setting the variable
   `compile-command'. For example, I have that:

       (setq compile-command "make -j 4 -s -k ")
       (setq compilation-read-command nil)

   Danger! The docstring for
   `compilation-read-command' says:

       Note that changing this to nil may be
       a security risk, because a file might
       define a malicious `compile-command' as
       a file local variable, and you might not
       notice. Therefore, `compile-command' is
       considered unsafe if this variable
       is nil.

> Compile is but one step toward building or
> making an executable or a project. A makefile
> that only compiles sources without combining
> them together into a unit, such as a library,
> archive, or executable, is not worth writing.

OK:

    (defalias 'compile-and-link 'compile)

> 73 to all

Ham radio (amateur radio) lingo meaning hasta
la vista, baby.

                   - so far: 58 Blogomatic articles -