Re: How to run --daemon in foreground?

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: How to run --daemon in foreground?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 14:26:47 +0000

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> schrieb am Mo., 31. Okt. 2016 um 01:22 Uhr:

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
> > Actually, it should be possible to use a foreground process without
> > a tty by using "emacs --batch".  IIUC it will require fiddling to make
> > it work right, but it's be good if someone could try it and report its
> > experience (e.g. in the form of a bug-report).
>
> There's a 7-year old bug report with a simple patch to add equivalent
> functionality. https://debbugs.gnu.org/4944
>
> It seems to me like a feature Emacs should have.

Agreed. However, the patch doesn't apply cleanly any more.
Please note that starting Emacs without --daemon and '-f server-start' is
not the same: it ignores the systemd socket activation; that code path is
only taken if the --daemon flag is present. Therefore, a new flag (or
--daemon=foreground etc.) is needed.