Re: Rmail: 'reply' vs 'reply-all'?

From: Christopher Pinon
Subject: Re: Rmail: 'reply' vs 'reply-all'?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 23:09:45 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 14:19:31 -0500
>>

>> It's due to the function mail-dont-reply-to, which sets the variable
>> mail-dont-reply-to-names to a value including
>>
>> (concat "\\`" (regexp-quote user-login-name) "@")
>>
>> which is far too broad.
>
> So it's not just _any_ repeated user@, it must be _my_ username.
>
> OK, I'll look into that.  Thanks.

Indeed, as I tried to say when I described (on Feb. 3) in more detail
the problem that I was experiencing in my private tests, I was using the
addresses myusername AT domain1, myusername AT domain2, etc., where
myusername is not only the same in each case but it's my own username
(all email addresses of mine), including on the machine that I was
testing Rmail.

But I see now that I then made a false generalization (especially in my
summary on Feb. 6) that 'r' in Rmail would behave incorrectly when given
_any_ addresses username AT domain1, username AT domain2, etc., where
username is the same in each case, which is what Eli couldn't
reproduce. (Admittedly, I didn't test this.)

So, in sum, the observation is that if your email address is
yourusername AT domain1 on the machine that you're using Rmail, then 'r'
does not copy to "CC" or "To" other addresses yourusername AT domain2,
yourusername AT domain3, etc., where yourusername is the same in each
case. If this observation is correct, it seems to me that 'r' doesn't
behave as expected.

Thanks to Glenn and Eli for helping to clarify this.

C.