Re: Emacs interface to Recoll other than Helm?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Emacs interface to Recoll other than Helm?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 13:19:26 -0700

Angel de Vicente wrote:
> Sorry for the double post. I thought the post with the attached images
> had been rejected so I post it again with the images as links to
> some URL in the Internet. The rest of the message is basically
> the same.

Thank you for the second message with the links.  For many people
(me!) it is much easier to deal with that than inline images.

As to the original large message with the inline images...  Not to
cause stress but to communicate the problems.  Those large messages
are always very painful for the lists.gnu.org mailing list server to
process when sending to a large mailing list.  This is a small list as
there are only 1410 subscribed members.  (And that does not count the
people reading from the associated newsgroup through the mail2news
gateway.)  Other lists are truly huge with many more members.  When
sending inline images to a large mailing list the total bandwidth is a
huge multiplier.  Often things are very delayed due to those messages.
An 800K message expands to 1.1T of consumed bandwidth to the entire
list for just that one single message.  Often the mailing list server
will be running far behind trying to push bandwidth through the
network.  Which means we have been forced to start capping the size of
messages on many mailing lists.  Also for anyone using their mobile
cell data plan those large messages eat up the data limit to the data
cap very quickly.

Large messages will either be automatically rejected or manually
rejected or manually approved.  One of the list moderators must have
decided to send that one on to the list.  If I had been at the
keyboard reviewing that held message I would have rejected it.  You
would have gotten a rejection notice with an explanation and hints as
to what could be done.  Because of the human factor the actions taken
are not always exactly the same.

Just giving a view into the behind the scenes operations... :-)

Bob