Re: emacs doesn't inherit PATH from environment

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't inherit PATH from environment
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 01:32:52 +0000

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Shell stuff that I want available from Emacs
> I have to set in a special file for zsh, which
> is
>
>     ~/.zshenv
>
> If I put the same thing in plain .zshrc or
> a file loaded from there, it doesn't work!
>
> I never understood why because the Emacs
> instance is run from a zsh shell, but for some
> reason Emacs cannot see zsh stuff that aren't
> defined in that special file, even when (as
> said) executed from a point which HAS access to
> it all!

I suspect that this is due to the differences between various shells.
There are login shells and non login shells.  There are interactive
shells and non-interactive shells.  These behave in different ways.
They load different variables and they reveal different things to other
programs and shells executed within them.

Using shells from within Emacs can cause problems with these defaults
because it can trick the shell into thinking that the use is
non-interactive.

Have a look at th Zsh documentation, it will probably explain some
obscure caveats about using .zshrc.

BR,
Robert Thorpe