Re: Emacs 26.1 on Windows is HUGE

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 on Windows is HUGE
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 18:00:15 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Removing the redundant executables would break things for people who
>> want to unpack over an MSYS installation.
>
> "People who want to install multiple Emacs versions on the same
> directory root", not necessarily those who use MSYS, correct?

Yes, this generalization is correct. AFAICT, though, only people with a
lot of other, non emacs, files are going to benefit from doing this as
multiple versions of emacs with one root take up the same size as
multiple versions with several roots. This is why msys was in my head.

I have checked now. Building Emacs with no debug reduces the size of the
executable from 120M to about 30M. The overall impact on install size is
as follows. For released versions we have:

170M    24
359M    25
742M    26-deps
412M    26-no-deps
109M    emacs-26.2-x86_64-no-deps.zip
211M    emacs-26.2-x86_64.zip

So, the size with no dependences has gone up a lot (this data is from
files on GNU/Linux).

For direct comparision with and without debugging we have without:

307M    deps
148M    emacs-26.2-i686.zip
50M     emacs-26.2-i686-no-deps.zip
150M    emacs-26.2-x86_64.zip
51M     emacs-26.2-x86_64-no-deps.zip
99M     no-deps
803M    total

and with:

$ du -shc *
401M    deps
208M    emacs-26.2-x86_64.zip
109M    emacs-26.2-x86_64-no-deps.zip
193M    nodeps
909M    total

So, for the no-deps version, we have a 50% reduction in the zip file
which equates to a 100% reduction on disk (assuming no file system
compression). Obviously for the with deps version, the proportions are
much smaller, but the actual size change the same.

Phil