Re: Make scroll-{up, down} move point to {start, end} of newly visible t

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Make scroll-{up, down} move point to {start, end} of newly visible text
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 14:19:23 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>   If one can get the state of scrolling in a window in Elisp
>   one could solve this in Elisp only since then one could
>   write a new scroll function on top of the old, and what it
>   would do is - based on that information - it would either
>   scroll normally or not call the function at all, if
>   scrolling was determined not to make any sense.
>
> So now please explain what you mean by "the state of
> scrolling" and how would you determine that "scrolling does
> not make any sense"?

For example, in this very window I look at right now, the
whole lower part of the buffer is displayed - it says "Bottom"
in the mode bar - still I can scroll down even more, and - what
Emacs calls scroll "up" BTW - by evaluating this

(scroll-up 1)

to just show more and more empty space.

If we can find out from Elisp that we are already at the
bottom, we wouldn't do that in a supposed wrapper function.
I don't know how to find that out but if possible and anyone
knows do tell as then I could write the function easily that
I had in mind and show you.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal