help-gnu-music

Re: finding libguile in my own lilypond compile

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: finding libguile in my own lilypond compile
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:56:28 +0200

> Of course, both of you are right.  The binary that ly2dvi calls isn't
> the lilypond that I compiled and ldd'd above.  Instead ly2dvi is
> calling "lilypond" which finds it in /usr/bin/lilypond from a previous
> install from an RPM.
>
> I didn't think about this at first because I thought that by running
> lilypond-login my env vars would be set correctly to find my lilypond
> binary.  But that's not the case...
>
> So, what did was change the line in ly2dvi (in 1.3.95) that read:
>   cmd = 'lilypond %s %s 2>&1' % (getLilyopts(), file)
>
> to:
>   cmd = os.path.join(os.environ['LILYPONDPREFIX'], '../../bin/lilypond %s %s
> 2>&1' % (getLilyopts(), file))
>
> This seems really ugly though.  I'm wondering, how do you guys that do
> lilypond development cleanly solve the problem?

Just set $PATH, so it finds the correct lilypond executable,
don't change ly2dvi.

> So, after the above change, lilypond is found just fine.  But now I
> have a different problem:
>
> guntram 10/11 8:24 ~/coda_rocks/classes/counterpoint/examples>
> ~/lilydev/bin/ly2dvi whipple_minor_ex
> ly2dvi (GNU LilyPond) 1.3.95
> executing: /home/dpetrou/lilydev/share/lilypond/../../bin/lilypond
> whipple_minor_ex 2>&1
> GNU LilyPond 1.3.95.
> Now processing: `whipple_minor_ex.ly'
> Parsing...scm_unprotect_object called on unprotected object
> ly2dvi: LilyPond failed:
> /home/dpetrou/lilydev/share/lilypond/../../bin/lilypond whipple_minor_ex 2>&1
>
> I couldn't find this error in the mailing list archives or FAQ.  Also,
> I know whipple_minor_ex.ly is fine; it compiles under 1.2.11.

The input syntax has changed considerably since 1.2.11.
convert-mudela should fix most of the problems, but unless
you have a very simple example, you probably have to fix
some details manually as well.

> One other thing, the lilypond-login file created in buildscripts/out
> after I compiled 1.3.95 seems to not be completely correct.  My
> --prefix-dir is /home/dpetrou/lilydev and lilypond-login correctly
> points GS_FONTPATH and LILYPONDPREFIX to stuff off of
> /home/dpetrou/lilydev, but MFINPUTS and TEXINPUTS point to stuff in
> /usr/share/lily instead.  Is this correct?

Probably not, it depends on where the .tex and .mf files were installed.
Also, depending on your teTeX installation setup, you may get
problems with feta*.tfm and feta*.*pk files being generated in the
current directory instead of the global font repository, see the FAQ
and several mails on this list during the last week. In that case,
MFINPUTS shouldn't be set at all.

    /Mats