help-gnu-music

Re: font cmr10 not found

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: font cmr10 not found
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:22:53 +0200

> I found that the problem with the paper16 was not Lily's but mine. It
> seems that Lily can't find the font cmr10. I found alotta info on the
> mailing list archive, but still I wasn't able to establish the right
> link. Here's what I tried:
>
> ln -s /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public /usr/local/share/lilypond
> ln -s /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public /usr/local/share/lilypond/tfm
> ln -s /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/ /usr/local/share/lilypond/tfm
> ln -s /usr/share/texmf/source/public/cm /usr/local/share/lilypond/mf

No, if your Lilypond is newer than 1.3.71, it will search
all fonts using exactly the same function used by TeX/LaTeX
(the Kpathsea library).
What does 'kpsewhich cmr10.mf' say?
Try also 'kpsewhich cmr10.tfm' and 'kpsewhich cmr10.600pk'
They should produce the same paths as you got from slocate below.

If it doesn't work, you have some problem with your
teTeX setup. The first thing to try is to run 'texhash'
(as root).

> This is the output of "slocate cmr10":
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/cm/cmr10.mf
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmr10.tfm
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cmcyr/kcmr10.tfm
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cmcyr/wcmr10.tfm
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cmcyr/xcmr10.tfm
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cmcyr/ycmr10.tfm
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/vf/public/cmcyr/kcmr10.vf
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/vf/public/cmcyr/wcmr10.vf
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/vf/public/cmcyr/xcmr10.vf
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/vf/public/cmcyr/ycmr10.vf
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/cmr10.600pk
>
> Could someone who has the link setup correctly please let me know what to
> do???
>
> BTW: Although I saw in the archives that Jan said this shouldn't be
> included in the LilyPond installation, due to differences in TeX
> distributions, I think it would be really nice if it were. I also
> understand that others have (or have had) trouble with this and setting
> up the link to get rid of feta* in working dir. Isn't it possible for the
> install to search for the files and setup the link???

No, exactly since the search is done by the kpathsea library
which seems to be differently configured for every distribution.

     /Mats