help-gnu-music

Re: Volta brackets in scores?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Volta brackets in scores?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:10:54 +0100

> > From: Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:07:37 +0100
> >
> > When typesetting orchestral scores with repeats, you get
> > a volta bracket over each staff line. [...]
>
> > Would it be possible to automatically connect the volta
> > brackets only to the top staff line? [...]
>
> May I add from my typesetting experience that similar processing
> is desired for other items too, if their meaning has to be
> obbeyed by all voices. Examples are any sort of ritardandi,
> "a tempo" specifications and any other sort of timing specs.
> like metronomic indications and other characterization as e.g.
> "Andante", "Allegro", "Tempo I", ...
>
> Dynamic specifications like "p", "f", etc. are  normally
> connected to all voices although I have seen scores where
> these indications were made only to the lowest voice.
>
> So it's a more general problem esp. if someone wants to
> write such specifications only once and specify at another
> place whether it has to be printed for every voice or on
> top or below the score (but for every voice when making
> parts).
>
> Sorry, that I make the problem bigger without being able to
> add anything to the solution. (No, the problem isn't solved
> in M-Tx/PMX/MusiXTeX in general, although I found ways to deal
> with it :-)

For these kind of annotation, I usually define a separate
"Voice" which I include only in the top staff of the score
and in all the individual parts. This is very convenient
in Lilypond, where you can define different lines of music,
lyrics or whatever separately and then combine these parts
in different ways to produce scores, parts, piano reductions,
and so on. Unfortunately this mechanism could not solve the
problem with volta brackets, since they are produced
automatically once you have declared a repeat.

   /Mats