help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Username case-sensitivity, detail.auth vs detail

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Username case-sensitivity, detail.auth vs detail
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:10:14 +0200

> With the old server usernames weren't case-sensitive. Apparently some of
> our users got used to that and are having problems now. We are
> authenticating via PAM. The PAM modules don't seem to offer a switch
> though, and I haven't seen anything in the RADIUS documentation, either. If
> that's the way it is, I guess we can live with that, but if there is a
> workaround I'd like to know it.

The usernames in plaintext database (raddb/users) are always
case-sensitive. If you are using PAM to authenticate, the best
way out would be to write a small pass-through module which will
downcase the username in the PAM credentials. Writing such a
module is quite straightforward.

> The other problem is that one of our NAS's, a Cisco 3030 VPN Concentrator,
> produces *only* a detail.auth file but no detail file. All other NAS's have

Are you using Acct-Type attribute for that NAS?
Do you see any records from that NAS in the output of radwho command?
Does it produce any error/warning messages in your radius.log?

Regards,
Sergey