help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] NAS-IP-Address vs. Client-IP-Address

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] NAS-IP-Address vs. Client-IP-Address
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:49:57 +0300

Hi Charles,

> Quick question (I hope)...  Under FreeRadius, I see an attribute in the
> standard dictionary called "Client-IP-Address".
[...]
> Grepping dict/* shows no such attribute in the Gnu-Radius dictionaries.
> If I simply add it (in FreeRadius it's id 1052), will that likely work?
> Or is that an attribute that FreeRadius is generating internally?

Yes, this is an internal attribute of FreeRadius. Generally, any
attribute whose value is greater than 255 is an internal attribute
and cannot be transmitted via RADIUS protocol.

> Just to add to this, I just realized all the work I've done with getting
> gnu-radius running is moot.
[...]
> Perhaps I'd be better served by hacking up the source to just make
> NAS-IP-Address = source of the request?

Such support is already available in the CVS version. I have prepared
a tarball, which you can download from

           ftp://mirddin.farlep.net/pub/alpha/radius-1.2.90.tar.gz

(a bz2 archive is also available).

Here are MD5 sums of the archives:

1b41ef88a9b8cbeb330e687582f7d4d8  radius-1.2.90.tar.bz2
e38458d8c9ba37b012e85bf9d5c10c53  radius-1.2.90.tar.gz

With this version, you can use Client-IP-Address attribute as follows:

1) Define it in your dictionary.

2) Add the following line to the beginning of your raddb/hints:

DEFAULT    NULL
           Client-IP-Address = "=request_source_ip()",
                 Fall-Through = Yes

Regards,
Sergey