help-gnucap

Re: [Help-gnucap] subcircuits and speed

From: Geordie McBain
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] subcircuits and speed
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 19:32:54 +1100

Yes, I was wondering about that. In this very simple network topology, the
equations can be phrased tridiagonally, and so admit solution by the
algorithm of Thomas, which requires linear time, but I wasn't sure how that
generalized to the arbitrary topologies admitted by Gnucap, at least
without internal renumbering as suggested by the other poster, and also how
reasonable it was to expect a general code to recognize a relatively
trivial special case. Presumably a completely connected network yields a
full matrix, which can't be solved in less than cubic time, can it?

(I'm yet to convince myself that halving the number of nodes can change the
index of complexity, but as you assure us, I'll ponder it further.)