help-gnucap

Re: [Help-gnucap] Unstable inverter isn't unstable

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Unstable inverter isn't unstable
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 10:25:35 -0500

On Wednesday 05 March 2014, Orestes Mas wrote:
> One of my students made the obvious mistake of exchanging the
> 2 inputs of the  operational amplifier, thus simulating
> "de-facto" an Schmitt trigger circuit. But, to my surprise,
> the simulation results didn't show the Operational Amplifier
> saturation, but linear behaviour!

Welcome to simulation!

You have, without realizing, introduced an important concept in
simulation!

What happened is that it found a "meta-stable" state.  It's a
singleton in the response.

You think of that op-amp circuit as having two stable states
(plus clip and minus clip).  You don't realize that there is a
third metastable state midway between.  It is a point where
there is a mathematical solution, but it is on a negative slope.
Either side of that point, the solution moves away from that
point.  It is the border between moving one way and moving the
other way.

In a real circuit there is enough noise that before you notice
it will go one way or the other.  In simulation, without noise,
it could end up at exactly that point.

For another interesting experiment, try an AC analysis.  Look
very closely at the results.