Re: [Help-gnunet] Are files available for download?

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Are files available for download?
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:31:49 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Andrew Hart wrote:

> Disaster! Only my computer returned a result.  Does no-one else share files or
> does everyone just really hate Black Sabbath?

Of course not. Black Sabbath is just lovely. ;) Two things. First,
the network is yet to face 'massive surge of public interest',
eg its small, and there's not many nodes yet, and perhaps many
are waiting for someone else to make the first move. ;) Second,
current gnunet is file-sharing in a sense that one who inserts content
should keep his node running atleast long enough that someone
downloads the file. And that requires finding the file. And finding
the file requires someone looking for the right key. Even though
that someone downloads the file doesn't yet guarantee that the
other nodes can serve the file in future, it makes it much more
likely. If you (or anyone else) really wishes that Black Sabbath
(or any other content inserted by them) to be surely available 24h,
they should keep their node running and not go away.

In short: current gnunet only "pulls" content, it doesn't
automatically "push" it onwards.

> Is it worth while inserting the rest of my mp3?

I think all useful content is welcome, as it attracts more people
and more people bring along more bandwidth and more stuff.

ps. Hereby I compromise the following highly secret keys.

test
audio/mp3
image/jpeg

Happy hunting. ;)