Re: Fwd: Re: [Help-gnunet] finding files & database management

From: Krista Bennett
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Help-gnunet] finding files & database management
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 01:13:23 -0500

Before I start my answer, I misspoke in my last email; you actually don't overwrite the top keyword block by reinserting another with the same name (unless it has the same description, etc.). You simply create a second block with the same keyword referring to the same file. It's been a long time since I thought about this stuff, and Christian has kindly corrected me :)

This is why I never say anything on the list! *grin*

Ok, so on to the reply...

Benjamin Kay wrote:

I don't really care too much about plausible deniability. I encrypt my
harddrive. With that out of the way, records of what I've indexed and how
would be really useful to me. I don't really care about records of what I've
inserted since, if I inserted it instead of indexing it, I may actually be
going for that plausible deniability thingy.

Well, it's certainly something that could be done, and I'll see about putting something like that in this weekend if I get to it as an option for anyone who'd want to use it.

Of course. But modifying the description could be beneficial to users who see
the description off of my node or off of a node that migrated the content
after the description change.

No, I agree, it certainly has a useful purpose. I was just explaining why it was designed to be such a pain in the butt.

Ugh! I can't even see the keywords/descriptions on indexed files?

I'll give some more information here, but see http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet/faq.php3?xlang=English#tell for an explanation.

For the keywords and descriptions, as far as what actually happens under the hood, both indexing and inserting a file still encode the file the same way; the intermediate blocks necessary for forming queries (and this includes the keyword block) are still created and inserted for both; indexing simply trades encrypting and inserting the entire file for telling the database where to find those blocks to encrypt them on the fly if they're requested. The keywords and descriptions aren't stored anywhere separately on their own for later retrieval; they're encoded just like they would be if you'd inserted the file with them.

Since the block containing keyword data and descriptions is the same for both, there's no easy way to retrieve anything other than file names. Thus, the only way to really do this would to be to keep an external record, which is how I'll try to give you a way to do this.

 It did occur to me that if I keep a list of all files I've indexed (which
GNUnet
 does for me) and if I put the filename as one of the keywords (which
 libextractor does for me) then I can see the description by searching GNUnet
for the filename. But I don't think that will show me the keyword.

You're right, it won't. See above.

 Is there a way to see the keywords if you, say, have the URI of the file you're
 looking for (as this would solve the problem)?

Nope; this is, in a sense, asking the same question in a different way. The URI doesn't "contain" the query keyword either.

GNUnet is designed so that those queries are not reversible to see what was asked for unless you know the query (in this case, keyword) in the first place (that's why we use one-way hashes instead of some other scheme). So the only real way around this is to keep track of those keywords somewhere and reindex, at the very least, the top block, which is what we'll do.

 OK. I'll clarify. I download a file. I have content migration enabled. So
 when I downloaded that file, there's an awfully good chance it got inserted
 into my node as migrated content. If that's the case, it would be really
 nice to be able to tell GNUnet to reindex the file (so it doesn't fall off
 my node and so I have a record of it) without wasting all that time indexing
 it manually and making up new keywords.

Well, a user chooses to keep an external record of keywords, descriptions, and filenames, I don't see why this too couldn't be automated if a user wanted it to be.

And the million dollar question: how to I get GNUnet to overwrite that first
index block in the database (as this seems to be how descriptions and
keywords may be modifyed)?

As I said before, you can't overwrite it, but you can at least add a corrected version.

Lazy answer: I'll see what I can do about making that available over the weekend.

Thanks for your help,

No problem. I'll send a mail to the list once I've hacked something up.

Hopefully I haven't screwed something up THIS time...

- Krista