Re: [Help-gnunet] "Abandoned" content problem?

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] "Abandoned" content problem?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:44:58 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Brent Miller wrote:

> Lately, it seems that there is *a lot* of content on gnunet that shows
> up when I do a search, but when I try to download I won't even get a
> single block.
> It seems to me that this is something that's only going to get worse as
> more and more people start using gnunet, especially those who try it out
> for a week and then give up. Is there anyone else out there experiencing
> this?

Your understanding of the problem is correct and I'm
fairly certain the problem has been discussed on one
of the mailing lists previously - or atleast I
remember personally nagging about it ages ago.
Suffice to say, the issue is a major one, experienced
by any user trying a search, and is enough to ruin the
search capability of gnunet for most practical purposes.
In addition, it makes the network look more unreliable
to the occasional visitor than it is, and effectively turns
off potential contributors to the network. Fixing this
issue would require protocol level changes and some
good ideas. Whether anything has been decided on,
I don't know. The problem certainly gets worse each
passing day.

Igor