Re: [Help-gnunet] Building from SVN fails

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Building from SVN fails
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:48:46 -0600

On Monday 02 July 2007 08:28, David Kuehling wrote:

> > Hi, building GNUNet from SVN (rev 5224) on Debian Etch fails during
> > "make":
>
> I think I found the problem: doing a "make uninstall" in the my old
> GNUnet-0.7.2 directory fixed the build problem.  Somehow the GNUnet
> libraries installed in /usr/local/lib affected correct re-build.
>
> Now I have a new problem: automake sets Makefile variable "MKDIR_P" to
> the empty string.  Thus "make install" fails.  Something wrong with my
> version of automake?  Which versions are known to work?

I've seen this problem myself, the issue seems to be *newer* versions of
automake (!?).  The trivial workaround is to have MKDIR_P="mkdir -p" in the
environment, but I'd rather like to know what is really going on -- but I've
been unable to figure it out so far.  AFAIK, nothing in the documentation
hits as to what we might be doing wrong.  Help (i.e., a patch) would be
welcome.

Christian