Re: [Help-gnunet] questions about network size and namespaces from a new

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] questions about network size and namespaces from a new user
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 13:46:19 +0100

On 11/22/13 01:07, James Cook wrote:
> Hi help-gnunet,
>
> I started up a gnunet (0.9.5a) peer two days ago.  I have some questions.
>
> - The current network size estimate (gnunet-statistics -s nse) ranges
> between 8 and 406 depending on when I check it.  I am currently
> connected to two peers.  Is this normal?  (The nse was 0 until I
> realized I had to tell gnunet-configure about my NAT.  gnunet-setup
> unfortunately doesn't work as the gnome 3 libraries are not yet
> working on my Linux distribution, NixOS.)

It is normal for the estimate to flucutate especially widely when a peer
has not been running for a day or two.

> - Is there a way to search for or otherwise discover namespaces?
> There is plenty of documentation about them, but it's not very
> interesting if I can't find any namespaces others have published.

I'm not too surprised, namespaces were a bit of an obscure feature
in earlier versions.  In 0.10, they'll be integrated with the GNU
Name System and thus will hopefully be also more popular / easier
to use / understand.

Happy hacking!

Christian